Friday, December 19, 2014

Kevin's Book Post

Chess Openings: Traps and Zaps
 
     I orgininally only planned on reading Mr. Murder this semester but I'm glad I decided to also read this book. After rediscovering my joy for the game of chess I wanted to get better. I found that my play in the beggining of the game was usually kind of weak so I figured that finally reading this book which had been sitting untouched in my room for years would be very beneficial to me. I was right.
     The writing of this book shows the openings and then it talks in depth about what moves were made and why they were made. This helped me build a better understanding of what makes a good opening and how to find good moves early on. Often times an opponet doesn't follow a standard opening so it's important to know the concept behind all the popular opening moves so that you can adjust them to whatever your opponet is doing. Throughout the book the author occasionally invludes an anecdote or two relating to each opening to help keep the book entertaining. I think this book was definitely worth the time invested.


No comments:

Post a Comment