Born To Run by Christopher McDougall
My favorite aspect of this book is the authors expansive amount of stories about extremely talented runners that overcome unbelievable physical feats. It excites me that their are others who share in my passion and take it to a completely other level. The book begins by McDougall visiting the doctor due to intolerable pain in the arch of his foot, a common impediment faced by runners. Being a journalist for men's health, he heard about a "mythical" tribe of people in Copper Canyons of Mexico who have seemed to break physical norms/limitations such as injury, recovery, and endurance. This discovery opens an entirely new world of running that goes beyond your average Saturday morning 5k and even your annual Boston Marathon. He stumbles upon the world of ultra-running, a select breed of enthusiastic and motivated runners tackling distances as long as 150 miles in under 48 hours. McDougall goes on too tell the tales of running legends such as Ann Trason, Neil Zatopek, and Steve Prefontaine.
This book was my chance to immerse myself in the dedication, inspiration, and victory of incredible runners. It gave me the desire to achieve beyond what I am capable of. To the athletes in this book, running truly is a way by which one lives their life, and not just an activity that consumes their time. My take away is that I wasn't born to merely walk and shuffle along in the activities I do, instead I was born to run into the freedom and unrestrained progress of whatever I wish to achieve.
No comments:
Post a Comment