Monday, December 8, 2014

Chace's Book Post 1

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief
by Rick Riordan

(I switched books after reading a little in Divergent)

       I read the Percy Jackson series quite a few times in middle school, but I haven't read them in a long time, so I decided to read them again. The series focuses on a boy who is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, the Greek god of the sea, and therefore goes to a camp for demigods where he will be safe from the mythical creatures that tend to kill demigods. 

     I particularly enjoy the Percy Jackson series because it is written in first person. I really tend to stay away from third person books because they seem so unattached. However, if the book is about real events and the person in the story is no longer around to write an autobiography, I can deal with a third person story if it's a quality story.

    Percy has really always known he was different, but he never understood why. He is dyslexic and has a really hard time in language arts class because he can't read well. His best friend Grover is a little protective, despite the fact that he is crippled and uses crutches. Everything in his life is going fine until his history class takes a filed trip to the Greek history museum. On the field trip, Percy realizes that he can read Greek because his dyslexia unscrambles the letters. Also, he is attacked by a harpy and his teacher (who is in a wheel chair) gets up and fights off the harpy. It becomes evident that Percy has a lot to learn about who he really is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment