Friday, December 19, 2014

Book Post 1

Born To Run by Christopher McDougall

       This book was the perfect inspiration to achieve my goals in running. I believe it is relatable to all people no matter how much they enjoy exercise, because it encourages you to live up to what you are capable of achieving. The premise of the book is that the author, Christopher McDougall, sets out on a hunt for the mysterious "Caballo Blanco", a running legend said to reside amongst a native Mexican tribe called the Tarahumara. On his journey he discovers that the Tarahumara have exceeded what many doctors say athletes (more specifically runners) can handle. This fact is why this book interested me so much. Although the idea of the Tarahumara tribe and their incredible physical ability was difficult to believe it made me ponder about the conditions I face in my life. I am beyond spoiled in comparison to the children in this book, yet the life they seem to live is much more free, much more enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy every bit of what I have, but I don't believe I cherish my possessions and blessings as much as these people. In contrast to the people in this book, I believe that in our society children, students, and young adults are raised thinking mainly about themselves and how the world around them will benefit them. This is nothing like the customs of these people. The way the author depicts these people makes it seem like the were raised quite the opposite with their focus always towards others.
     The culture of these people was not a big portion of the book, but I really stopped and thought about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment