Thursday, December 18, 2014

Chace's Book Post 5

Los Juegos del Hambre
by Suzanne Collins

     The Spanish in this book has given me a huge insight into the deeper meaning of The Hunger Games.  In the title, it says los juegos. Juegos are games like tag or hide-and-seek. When I first started looking for the book, I expected it to be los partidos. Partidos are games like a soccer game or a basketball game. The fact that it is juegos means that the hunger games aren't games like the Olympic Games. They're games like tag to the Capitol. That realization was a big "woah" moment for me. There's also places where the details are better because of the multiple words there are for one English word. However, there are places where detail is lacking due to the restrictions of the language. Many times, proper nouns, such as locations, are different than I would have expected because of the restrictions. The translator app I have on my phone has been really useful when I have absolutely no idea what a word means. Something that makes me laugh a little is how I mentally pronounce things when I get into the Spanish mind-frame. For example, Gale is Katniss's friend. Sometimes, instead of pronouncing it "gay-ul" I think "gah-lay" which make me chuckle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment