Jordan's Book Post 1
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
Starting this book, I was immediately intrigued by Lily's big mind and craving heart. She lives with her tyrant of a father, her fill-in mother, Rosaleen, and few blurred memories of her mother. Under these saddening conditions for a growing young girl, Lily went against her odds by dreaming big and seeking out her desires. I love her passion for life--as she relates to the lives of bees later in the book--and her audacious, impulsive actions. Lily back-talks her dad despite the consequences she fears, she sneaks out at night despite the loneliness she fears, she runs away despite the big world she fears. The bold mind of Lily's does not always work for her good, but it seems to have a way of working for time's good. Her impulsive decision to steal Rosaleen from the hospital and run away to Tiburon, South Carolina (where the faint hopes of her mother's past might be) comes with many consequences but it also creates an entire story.
However, underneath Lily's passion, audacity, and liveliness lies all the emotions provoking her lifestyle. Lily gives her mother the highest honor and most special place in her heart, but Lily's dad, T-Ray, digs the truth of her mother leaving them a long time ago. Lily's efforts to not believe him and rebel against T-Ray are the motives to her actions. Her lonely and searching heart sets the foundation for the book. She craves life everywhere she goes in everyone she meets, bringing her to August, the woman she and Rosaleen stay with in South Carolina. August, May, and June, the sisters who own the honey house, become park of Lily's family. August, especially, drew near to Lily and could understand her hurting heart. Lily is on this journey searching for the fulfillment only her mother could fill, but she does not take into account the reality of her dangerous situation and the absence of her beloved mom.
Coming from a tough place in my life, I can somewhat relate to Lily's longing for someone to fill the barren places in her heart. Junior year, my parents got divorced and I know the feeling of loneliness, but not to her extent. I love how the author brings Lily's emotions to life with words; it has the power to speak to so many people. I am excited to see where the book takes Lily as the book ends.
Coming from a tough place in my life, I can somewhat relate to Lily's longing for someone to fill the barren places in her heart. Junior year, my parents got divorced and I know the feeling of loneliness, but not to her extent. I love how the author brings Lily's emotions to life with words; it has the power to speak to so many people. I am excited to see where the book takes Lily as the book ends.
No comments:
Post a Comment